Notices for the week beginning January 26
As we continue our search for our next vicar, help us to put our trust in you to send your chosen person to lead us, to equip us and to work alongside us to share the Good News of God’s love with everyone in our communities.
PRAYER FOR TODAY
God of all mercy,
your Son proclaimed good news to the poor,
release to the captives,
and freedom to the oppressed:
anoint us with your Holy Spirit
and set all your people free
to praise you in Christ our Lord.
PLEASE PRAY FOR:
- the family and friends of those who have recently died: Rosa Marriage, Margaret Dobson, Ron Newcombe, John Butcher, Winifred Geraghty, Selvin Thompson
- those who have asked for prayer: Kayleb, Margaret Smith, Shirley, Janice, Gill Dunn, Amanda, Ann, Jill Lloyd, Linzi Jackson, Melvin
LENT COURSES. Plans are now underway for this year’s Lent Courses. These will both follow the same material and run on Thursday mornings from 9.30 – 11.30 am (incorporating the usual Thursday morning service of Holy Communion) starting on Thursday 27th February. Wednesday evenings 7.30 – 9.30 pm (time to be confirmed) starting on Wednesday 4 th March. Further details will be available shortly, so look out for publicity in church, on the website and on the Notice Sheet. It is hoped that more people can be involved to share in organising, facilitating and leading the Lent Course this year. If you would be interested in helping, please contact Elsie Bouffler (firstname.lastname@example.org)
JO WOOD. Today is Jo’s last Sunday in her role as Assistant Director of Music at St Mary’s. Please pray for her as she lays down this ministry after 18 years of diligent and faithful service and as she continues her Ordination training at Sarum College.
THURSDAY FELLOWSHIP LUNCH, 30 January 2020 at 12 noon in Square 1 Restaurant, Dunmow. 3 courses £15.50 +10% service. ALL WELCOME. Please sign up on sheet on the notice board at the back of the church or ring Susie on 07973 814890.
WOMEN’S BRUNCH, SATURDAY 1 FEBRUARY 10am – 12 noon in St Mary’s Centre. A place to chat, eat and drink. You will be very welcome. Suggested donation £3. Please let Helen Wright or Maureen Best know if you are coming.
POP UP BOOK SALE - Saturday 8th & Tuesday 11th February in the Community Room adjacent to Wade & Davis in the High Street. Good quality second-hand books, CDs & DVDs from 50p. All proceeds will go towards the Chair Fund.
BISHOP STEPHEN will finish as Bishop of Chelmsford on 12 April, Easter Sunday with Choral Evensong at 3.30 pm. All are welcome. However, it is likely to be very busy so getting there early is advisable. From Easter, Bishop Peter will be acting diocesan Bishop and will stay in post until Easter 2021.
UTTLESFORD WINTER WARMTH INITIATIVE. This will run to 31 March 2020 and will provide:
- Coat Swap scheme - Dunmow and Saffron Walden Libraries are going to host a Coat Swap this winter. People bring in their clean unwanted coats on hangers and put them on the coat rail. If they want another coat they can take one. This scheme also includes children’s coats. This service is free of charge and will work in conjunction with our Winter Warmth Initiative.
- Emergency Fuel Oil Vouchers - We will provide up to 3 vouchers in extreme circumstances to different individuals who are elderly, ill, disabled or vulnerable 60 years +. You would need to liaise with our team who have a basic criteria checklist, if appropriate. We will arrange delivery and direct payment to the supplier up to a value of £300.
- Safer Homes scheme - Comprises of Handyperson service through which we will repair trip hazards, install draft excluders, heat reflectors behind heaters, repair doors or broken windows or fit curtain rails with pre-made curtains, and in addition a Winter Gardening provision - path access snow and ice clearance, managing hedges, small tree pruning, etc. This service should be booked through the online Frontline Service or by calling 01371 878400.
- Compressed Coffee Granules Fuel Logs - Suitable for Open Fires and Log Burners, will be provided to those in need.
- Winter Warmth Packs - We have 100 Winter Warm Packs for Men and Women who are struggling with or are at risk due to the cold weather. These comprise of a set of fingerless gloves, thick socks, a hot water bottle, a Thermos mug and a blanket. Again please request a pack via the online Frontline system or through 01371 878400.
Please note we will ask you some questions as to who you are, if you are referring or acting upon someone's behalf, who the recipient is, their home address, contact details and age, also their circumstances. We are required by the funders of this initiative to provide information as to the impact of this provision so where we can we would like to obtain some case studies and testimonials. This is sponsored by the Council for Voluntary Service Uttlesford (CVSU).
LENT MODULES 2020. A series of short courses is being run across the diocese, costing between £15 & £40. For more information, please see the notice board.
FURNITURE WANTED. A single mother is being housed in Dunmow from next week and she has absolutely no furniture. If anyone has anything at all that they no longer require, please let Sarah know in the Parish Office. Thank you.
MINISTRY TEAM. The Ministry Team would like to be informed if anyone is ill or in need of a visit.
COSTUME JEWELLERY WANTED. Costume jewellery is wanted for a Christian Romanian charity to sell to raise funds for needy people. More details are available from Edward Salmon.
COFFEE, CAKE & CHATTER. £225.10 was raised on Tuesday. Many thanks to everyone who supported the coffee morning.
PIGEON HOLES. Please check the pigeon holes at the back of church as there are still some uncollected Christmas cards.
WANT TO KEEP UP-TO-DATE WITH WHAT’S HAPPENING IN CHURCH? NEED A LIFT TO CHURCH OR TO SWAP A READING? Then join the new Church WhatsApp group! But how do I do that? Just send a text to Pat Rose (07522 382140) or Nigel Dodd (07525 622 882), saying who you are. And if you want to find out a bit more, or need some help, then just ask Pat or Nigel who can explain what it is and help to set up WhatsAPP on your phone.
ST. MARY'S WEBSITE. If you have been to the church website recently, you will hopefully have noticed a change! If you are a member of any of the church groups and would like information added or amended, please let Patrick know.
NOTICES. If you would like to see more details about any of the events shown in the calendars above, please click on the calendar images which will take you to the church website. You should then be able to click on an event, see future events, and click an event to see more details. Please let me know if you have any problems! Thanks, Patrick.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
TO CONTACT THE PARISHES:
Priest-in-Charge: In Vacancy
Curate: Revd. Lea Williams 01371-705066 / email@example.com. Please note that Lea’s usual day off is Friday.
Parish Administrator and Hall Bookings: Sarah Jeffrey 01371-875753 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Churchwardens, St. Mary the Virgin, Great Dunmow: Miss Catherine Salmon 01371-872580 / Mr Michael Ryley 07879-486293
Churchwarden, St. Andrew the Apostle, Barnston: Vacant - Contact the Parish Administrator
Pastoral Assistant: Miss Pam Warren 01371-878219 / email@example.com
Follow us on...
IF YOU WOULD LIKE:
- further information about any of the items mentioned above, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- these notices emailed to you weekly, please join our mailing list. Information is shown here
- anything added to the notices, please leave a message on the parish office answerphone 875753 or send an e-mail to email@example.com by Wednesday morning.